Tuesday 4 October 2011

Apple Upside-Down Cake

Another recipe worth sharing is for this Apple upside-down cake I got from an Easy Food magazine. 

I forgot to add the ground almonds into the mixture though so instead sprinkled flaked almonds on top whilst it baked and added more once out of the oven. Then finished it off with a sprinkling of icing sugar.

I turned mine around because the almonds looked better on top I thought. So this one I made isn't technically upside-down! Whichever way you choose it'll still taste as good!....try it warm with custard, yummy!!

200g butter
200g caster sugar
4 eggs
225g self-raising flour
25g ground almonds
3 eating apples, thinly sliced
3 tbsp golden syrup

1. Heat the oven to 180c/gas mark 4
2. Line a deep 20cm spring-form cake tin with paper and grease it. (I used a sandwich cake tin and it came out fine)
3. Whisk the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
4. Mix in the eggs then fold in the flour and almonds. If needed, add a little water to make the mixture easier to spoon into the tin.
5. Line the base of the tin with layers of apple slices.
6. Add the golden syrup then spoon the cake mixture on top.
7. Bake for one hour. Cool the cake in the tin, turn out onto a wire rack and remove the paper.

I found because I used a sandwich tin there was a bit too much cake mixture. I made a few cupcakes with the excess. I sprinkled cinnamon, flaked almonds and granulated sugar on top before putting in the oven. Once cooled I made a few holes in each with a fork and dribbled some golden syrup over the top :)


No comments:

Post a Comment